Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:11 pm | Updated: 3:33 pm, Wed Sep 17, 2014.
Plano Fire-Rescue will stage a side-by-side residential fire sprinkler demonstration Saturday at the InTouch Credit Union Plano Balloon Festival.
The demonstration is scheduled for 4 p.m. on the same field where the evening balloon launch will take place at 6 p.m. The side-by-side burn will demonstrate the powerful role residential fire sprinklers play in controlling home fires and will compare two bedroom fires; one fitted with fire sprinklers, the other without.
“Residential fire sprinklers provide valuable time to escape a fire and save belongings,” said Fire Marshal David Kerr. “The demonstration taking place Saturday will show the speed of fire growth with today’s modern combustible furnishings and how residential fire sprinklers fight the fire well before the arrival of firefighters.”
To date, Plano has experienced 97 residential fire sprinkler saves. Across the US, 85 percent of all fire deaths occur in residences. In a home with fire sprinklers, the average property loss per fire is cut by about 70 percent compared to fires where there are no sprinklers.
Along with Plano Fire-Rescue, the sponsors for Saturday’s demonstration are Plano Balloon Festival, Texas Fire Sprinkler Coalition and Plumbers Continuing Education.
More about Plano Fire-rescue
- ARTICLE: Plano Police, Fire-Rescue host 9/11 memorial event
- ARTICLE: Family members safely exit Plano home with attic fire
- ARTICLE: Boy drowns in townhome pool
- ARTICLE: Plano vehicle fire mistakenly identified as ambulance
More about Plano
- ARTICLE: Richardson to open new dog park near Plano border
- ARTICLE: Plano man sentenced for 2012 arson
- ARTICLE: Haggard Farm West development progresses
- ARTICLE: Get up and give