Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Fire sprinkler helps control structure fire caused by cigarette


, Reno Gazette-Journal4:12 p.m. PDT July 18, 2016

The Reno Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 895 Kuenzil Street at 3:43 a.m.
The fire started in a third floor apartment from a carelessly discarded cigarette. The fire caused moderate fire damage but was contained to the living area by an activated fire system.
The two sleeping occupants who were home at the time of the fire escaped without injury. 14 tenants of the apartment complex were temporarily relocated by the American Red Cross.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, if you have a fire in your home, the risk of dying decreases by 82 percent when fire sprinklers are present. Statistics show fire sprinklers can stop a fire in less than 90 seconds.
Although there were no injuries reported on this incident, The Reno Fire Department would like to remind everyone smoking materials (cigarettes, cigars, pipes, etc.) are the leading cause of fire deaths in the United States, and to take necessary safety precautions.

No comments:

Post a Comment