Friday, March 29, 2013

CFD: Sprinklers stop King Street apartment fire

from abcnews

Posted: Mar 29, 2013 2:16 PM PDTUpdated: Mar 29, 2013 2:16 PM PDT
CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) - A fire Thursday night at the PalaceApartments on upper King Street in downtown Charleston was contained by the building's sprinkler system, fire officials said.
According to the Charleston Fire Department, the resident was cooking when a fire started on the stove. The resident tried to put the fire out with water to no avail. The fire began to spread, officials said, which triggered the sprinkler system.
When firefighters arrived around 10:20 p.m., they found that the sprinklers had contained the fire to the kitchen.
"The fire sprinkler system is a critical component in the life safety system of this property," said Fire Marshal Mike Julazadeh. "In this case, a single fire sprinkler head operated and controlled the fire event until the fire department could arrive and mitigate any remaining hazards."
Julazadeh said if the sprinklers, the fire could have spread to multiple apartments and displaced several families instead of the minimal smoke and fire damage in one kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment