Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 2:00 pm
The Pearland Fire Department responded to a kitchen fire in a multi-story apartment building located in the 6500 block of Broadway on Sunday, Oct. 20. After arriving, fire department officials discovered that the fire had been extinguished by the fire sprinkler system installed in the building.
At the time of the fire, the resident was cooking on the stovetop when spilled grease caused a fire on the stovetop burner. The sprinkler system is credited with protecting the lives and personal property of everyone living in the apartment building.
Residential fires cause thousands of injuries and billions of dollars of property damage every year. Studies conducted by the United States Fire Administration have indicated that the installation of residential fire sprinklers could have saved thousands of lives and eliminated hundreds of millions of dollars in damage. On average, the cost of a fire sprinkler system is approximately $1 to $1.50 per square foot when installed during a new home construction – a relatively small cost given the protection the systems provide.
Also, many insurance companies offer a discount of between 5 and 15 percent for homeowners who have fire sprinklers installed. The Pearland Fire Marshal recommends that all homeowners consider installing a residential sprinkler system in their home. For more information, please contact Shohn Davison at 281-652-1965 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit usfa.fema.gov.